Sunday, November 15, 2015

Piecing It All Together

Next is gluing the rubber to the cork. This requires cleaning using denatured alcohol and sanding before coating the rubber with any glue.
I minimized the second layer of rubber application making additional heel and toe support. My other thought is that when I have to resole there will be less area to remove for repair.
This is the Duratek soling sheet being applied as the final layer of the sole. I used about half the sheet, which was a pleasant surprise.
It was essential to attach the straps now because  I didn't want the hardware to have skin contact. 
This is before gluing and topstitching.
I trimmed the sheepskin parts back along the sew line before gluing the appropriate parts together.
The right insole is picture left in two pieces. The left insole is completely topstiched right.
All parts glued and sewn using a machine .
A closer look at the inside and outside.
The vamp or what would be understood as tongue needs slits cut. I used the smallest hole and cut a line using a ruler and an exacto.
Here is one shoe with everything done but the handsewn seams.
A closer look at the sole and topstitching... I couldn't juggle the camera and hammering the sewing holes using the chisel.
Sewing in the toe using two needles. 
Crazy how the outside gathers while the inside edge pulls straight. I enjoyed using the fake sinew.
Toes complete only back seams required.
The right one was completed first.
Both completely sewn.
A final application of glue applied to then soles exposed edge to seal and protect.












No comments:

Post a Comment