Saturday, November 28, 2015

Tool Talk

Just wanted to add a little conversation about what tools one may or may not need. Pictured above is a piece of wood I thought I might need to help shape the toe. I actually used the wood with the sewing chisel. One can see the hammered holes look like a bird's trail. Initially, I had a brain storm at two o'clock in the morning, I ordered two tools online. The first tool from Japan (pictured left) is a sewing hole chisel that needs to be sharpened. The second tool from China (pictured right) is a straight 26mm chisel  that I got to make the strap slits. 

Here is what actually happened: The tool from China was the first to arrive. It threw me off because it was the wrong width and I forgotten that I had had the 2 am brainstorm. When I contacted the company about their error they wanted me to send it back before they would send me the right one. The tool arrived so fast it took two weeks of email communication for their contact person to yield to the idea of actually sending me what I ordered.
The chisel from Japan looked weird. I had never handled a sewing chisel prior to this endeavor. Thus, I ordered the sewing chisel set and made sure that it was from a supplier that was in the US. I was correct in sensing the chisel was off because it turns out the actual cutting edges were grounded round. Each of these tools cost around $12.00 with shipping. It was a clear $24.00 loss but only half the $50.00 that the 1"strap chisel costs. Turns out I used the smallest hole punch an exacto knife and a ruler because I over thought what was necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment